- I’m co-organising The 12th ACM Workshop on Large-Scale Distributed Systems and Middleware (LADIS’21) collocated with EuroSys’21. To be held via Zoom on Monday, April 26th, 2021 from 16:00 GMT — 21:00 GMT. Stay tuned for the program!
- The full version of our DISC’18 Best Paper award winner Multi-Shot Distributed Transaction Commit by Gregory Chockler and Alexey Gotsman has been accepted to Springer Distributed Computing
- If you have ever wondered how to construct a (provably) live Byzantine Agreement protocol in a simple and modular way, check out our latest DISC’20 paper!
- From January 2020 I am a Professor at the Department of Computer Science, University of Surrey
- Program Committees: PODC’20, SRDS’20
- Program Committee Vice Chair for Storage and I/O Systems, 10th Annual IEEE/ACM International Symposium in Cluster, Cloud, and Grid Computing (CCGrid 2020).
- ACM DEBS Most Influential Paper Award, 2019, for this paper
I am a Professor in the Department of Computer Science, University of Surrey where I am affiliated with the Secure Systems Research Group and the Surrey Centre for Cyber Security.
Prior to joining University of Surrey in 2020, I was a Professor and the Head of the Centre for Distributed and Global Computing at Royal Holloway, University of London (RHUL) between 2012 – 2019, a Research Staff Member at IBM Research between 2005 – 2012, and a Postdoctoral Associate in the Theory of Distributed Systems group at the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) of Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) between 2003 – 2005.
I obtained my PhD, MSc, and BSc degrees in Computer Science from Hebrew University of Jerusalem in 2003, 1998, and 1993 respectively.
My research interests are broadly in the area of distributed computing and systems spanning both theory and practice. I am particularly interested in real-world problems seeking to uncover deep tradeoffs (such as lower bounds and algorithms) and their implications for the system engineering practices. My current focus is on scalability and robustness in modern large-scale computing and storage infrastructures, such as blockchains, cloud services, large-scale data centres, Internet of Things (IoT) platforms, and multi-core architectures. I am involved in a number of projects tackling various challenges arising in these environments including Byzantine consensus, distributed transactions, data replication, data diffusion, coding and caching among others.
I have co-authored several popular surveys and position papers on cloud computing, distributed storage, and group communication.
My work is being supported by IBM Shared University Research Award, Coleman-Cohen Exchange Programme Grant, Royal Society International Exchanges Grant, and Facebook Faculty Award.
I am actively collaborating with a number of academic institutions and industrial partners world-wide including IMDEA Software Institute, Technion, Tel-Aviv University, Emory University, Cornell, KTH, and IBM Research.
I have been fortunate to work with a number of talented students and postdocs.
I am a co-inventor of several patents.
Notable professional activities and appointments
- Editor, Information Processing Letters, 2010 – 2019.
- Guest Editor, Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, Special Issue on Cloud Computing, vol. 71 (6).
- Founder and General Chair, Workshop on Large-Scale Distributed Systems and Middleware (LADIS).
- Program and Organising Committee member for flagship conferences and workshops in distributed computing, big data, and cloud computing. Most notable recent activities include Program Committee Vice Chair for Storage and I/O Systems, 10th and 9th Annual IEEE/ACM International Symposium in Cluster, Cloud, and Grid Computing (CCGrid 2020, CCGrid 2019), Program Committee Chair for Distributed Algorithms and Theory track of ICDCS’18, Organising Chair for PODC’18; General Chair for LADIS’17; PC member for SRDS’20, PODC’20, DISC’18, PODC’18 (see my CV for a full list).
- Reviewing Panel member for ESRC, ISF, IWT, and EIT ICT Labs
Other things I enjoy include playing tennis, traveling to new and exciting places, hiking nature trails, visiting National Trust cultural heritage sites, live music concerts, walking streets of London, short English summer, day trips to France via Channel Tunnel, and spending time with my family.